Blog

08 Aug
2017

Women authors for physics textbooks

At an early stage of planning for the Pantaneto series of physics textbooks, I was at an advanced stage of negotiation with 12 authors: 8 male and 4 female. I expected that probably half of the authors would bow out for various reasons and I did, in fact, end up

16 Jul
2017

Words and Lyrics

Modern science is associated with many negative connotations. From the Hollywood pastiche of “the mad scientist” to Mary Shelley’s book “Frankenstein”. One of the effects of literature and poets, in particular, are to “help rebuild [the] image of [the] researcher as an honest character”.[1] According to Conerade, “Science verges on

16 Jul
2017

Fuzzy Trace Theory

Politicians, sociologists and scientists are often concerned about how the general public make decisions, either for themselves in everyday life, or collectively in elections or facing political issues. Fuzzy trace theory (FTT) developed out of the puzzling observation that in spite of more detailed information being available, people’s decisions on

16 Jul
2017

Dark Matter

Generally accepted by cosmologists is the idea that all the matter in the universe we can detect, not only at optical wavelengths but also at other wavelengths, corresponds to only about 7% of all matter. Furthermore, nobody knows what the other 93% of matter is made of – maybe the